Tuesday, November 9, 2010

O Frabjous Day!

I never thought that I would wind up writing for a textbook, but that's life, I suppose.

Back in September Simply Charlotte Mason, a homeschool resource provider, was running a contest for its collaborative American history project. Entrants were encouraged to submit a chapter of 1500+ words on a subject in the 1900s for use in a new textbook on that time period.

The challenge was to write a "living book," something of which the educator Charlotte Mason - for whom the site is names - was very fond. Living books make their subject matter come alive, rather than spitting out dry facts. Since this was how I was educated, I thought I'd contribute.

I chose Sergeant York of WWI fame, a man that I read about in Albert Marrin's THE YANKS ARE COMING. The story had thrilled me at age 16 so I can only imagine how it would invigorate a young child. In writing the chapter, I turned to my good friend Charles Carleton Coffin for inspiration and wound up writing everything in the present tense. It was great fun and I sent it out figuring that at least I had done my part. And you know what? It got accepted! The textbook will be published sometime next year and all contributors get a complimentary copy. O Frabjous Day!

I'll ask around and see whether it would be appropriate to include an excerpt for the public's viewing. I'm new to this whole thing, so now that SCM owns the rights I may need their permission.

If you want to follow Simply Charlotte Mason you can either use the link above or check out their related blog.

No comments: