Monday, January 27, 2014

Serious Dwarves

Although I have expressed disappointment about the newest interpretations of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, this blog post by J.J. Cohen makes a fascinating argument in the movies' favor - at least insofar as dwarves are concerned. 

Therein, Cohen points out that, unlike much pop culture, or even Tolkien, Peter Jackson has created an epic for the dwarfish perspective, one that takes those of lesser stature seriously and awards them their place in the spotlight (maybe, you'll see.)  I most certainly agree, for once wishing that I could be Thorin when I grow up - not that I should sell my soul to a shiny gem, develop a manic obsession with defeating an unbeatable firelizard, and endanger all my friends in the process; rather I want to let my hair go, cultivate an enormous beard, and go traipsing about exotic locals while shod in heavy leather boots and bedecked in chain mail and a roomy overcoat lined with rabbit pelts.  Might be fun.


No comments: