Monday, March 7, 2022

On Goodwill Towards Men

While stumbling about Youtube last night, I happened upon a video titled “Why Isn’t Mexico A Global Power?” The premise asked why Mexico has never extended her reach overseas, taking into account geographic, population, economic and other factors. By the time the video ended I found myself rooting for Mexico, hoping that maybe one day she will exert hegemony over her neighbors. 

After laughing off this passing sympathetic fancy, I nevertheless sat considering how I actually regard the global prospects of a foreign country, be it Mexico or any other. On the face of it, an American like myself (or any patriot anywhere) would understandably want the very best for their own home to the exclusion of everyone else. In terms of human nature, it is sadly easy for anyone looking across the border at another state, especially those against whom one has some legitimate gripe, such as Russia or China, to lump into this assessment the people also living within the bounds of that state; to wish the devil take them all and for one’s own to reign supreme. 

That, at least, is a fearsomely pragmatic and nationalistic view (and one frequently ascribed to "America First" patriots by unkind observers during the last administration).

The more wholesome reality for myself and most everyone I know, is that we like and value our friends and acquaintances from abroad; moreover, those countries that I have had the pleasure of visiting I have enjoyed and appreciated very much. To what end to condemn the energetic Japanese shop owner who kept an English-language dictionary on his desk in anticipation of my regular visits? To what end condemnation of the gregarious Welsh bus driver taking simple joy in talking about local happenings or musing about international politics with his Yankee passengers? I have laughed at (and have myself made) my share of jokes at the expense of the allegedly elusive warrior spirit of France, but in practical terms such jabs or ribbing has been more than outweighed by the cheerful humor of the Frenchmen I have been privileged to meet. If I cannot honestly distain such wonderful people and if I have found joy and happiness in visiting their colorful and inspiring countries myself, then how can I earnestly condemn any place or anyone at all, especially my neighbors south and north? 

Much as I have studied other cultures and their peoples over the years, I have mostly neglected Mexico and Canada. Perhaps proximity fuels disinterest. This is a matter deserving of attention, hence Adam Shoalts’ History of Canada In Ten Maps on my end table and videos on Mexican geopolitical prospects in my watch history. However insular my own experience, that of my country (or “countries” if one takes a States’ Right view) has been a rip-roaring adventure alongside and occasionally in conflict with those states immediately next our own. The militant within me hopes for martial strength at home juxtaposed against weakness and passivity beyond the limes, but my inner capitalist thinks otherwise; for isn’t a prosperous neighbor a valuable one? And the Christian within me speaks of peace on earth not by right of conquest but by brotherly love—watched over by solemn guardians, to be sure. It is true that I regard the murky and unknown frontier with a trepidation born of ignorance and distrust of any evils perceptible from my vantage point, but let it never be that I ascribe generally to the people of any place the bitter wrongs committed specifically by their most lawless (or in government, the most lawful) citizens. Chaos along the Mexican border need not inculcate a disgust for Mexicans, nor should breathtaking tyrannical abuses by the Canadian government ever instill in me mistrust of Canadians. How hypocritical it would be to cheer the success of the immigrant self-starter in this country, while at the same time wishing ill (or worse perhaps, not wishing or even thinking at all) about the successes of his erstwhile countrymen! It is the most reprehensible and ignorant shade of Karl Marx that believes one man’s prosperity to be at the expense of another’s.

Maybe I cannot truly wish that Mexico ever be a global power. Indeed, to take that wish to its fullest extent might smack of gross insubordination to my own homeland. But I can say with the utmost candor that I want the very best, and I do wish the very best for my neighbors in Mexico and Canada. If we each find success and security and freedom within our own boundaries while respecting and maintaining cordial and firm relations with those around us, cannot the result be anything but good?

No comments: